Music Performance & Appreciation

Very often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey. We invite you to journey with us... Sign up to connect with Rhythm MP


Chapter 3: Preparing oneself for a music career

Little did I know that when I pursued music for a career, I was putting myself into the competitive world of performance and musical artistry. The complete musician requires academic and leadership skills, creativity and discipline to persevere.

A career in music during my time meant being a performer or a teacher only. Today, careers in music are much more diversified.

A career as an instrumental performer focuses strictly on the world of musical performance. This would mean many hours of practice, watching and listening to top performers and having sufficient funds to study at the world’s top conservatoires. Besides developing such discipline, acquiring technical, virtuosic skills, and managing one’s emotions and thoughts are most vital for a performing career.

In the world of teaching, all one needs is dedication, love, passion, care and discipline. Good communication skills and being a ‘people-person’ is certainly required.

In my time, I wanted only to be a professional teacher who could also perform well. All I needed was the keenest dedication, passion and knowledge. One also needs a lot of self-discipline and organizational skills.

Whatever it is that one chooses to do, the mind must be set up to succeed, to win, to achieve. These, above all, are the major tools for success. However, once I set my heart and passion for music, many doors were opened for me, and I truly believe, with God's blessings, I found myself being an entrepreneur, a conductor, composer, arranger, lecturer, consultant, etc. I believe we can choose our destiny once we have given our best. Many options will arise!

Dr. Geraldine Law-Lee, Thu 01/11/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment