Music Performance & Appreciation

Very often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey. We invite you to journey with us... Sign up to connect with Rhythm MP


Chapter 5: Teenage musical experiences to be shared

My teenage years, as I recall, was a time in my life that was filled with the most enjoyable and moving music. It was a time when I could already play reasonably well, having completed my Grade 8 and already begun playing diploma pieces. I could sight-read almost anything I wanted, buy pop / gospel pieces to play and sing, and it was a time when I could play any music I enjoyed besides what was assigned by my music teacher during lessons.

This new key of discovery in my music world facilitated my own self-expression, as there were moments of frustrations and sadness that couldn’t be expressed or told to anyone else. This was where music composition began for me. I sat and wrote my heart’s overflowing emotions in songs, in instrumental pieces, even in satirical pieces about people who hurt me! What a great gift God had given me! I was able to pen my musical thoughts and emotions into songs that spoke more than a million words! Besides, I felt so consoled! I had found my vehicle of inner expression in music!

I also served in the church music ministry and reflecting back, those were moments of joy. Church activities include among others, choir and caroling practices, working with other youths who were musical and enjoyed music, small ensemble groups, soloists etc that helped improve my sight-reading tremendously!! I remember my piano teacher asking how I could just sight read so easily, and I told her that it was because I had to play all the pieces given to me at my church choir as accompanist! And they were doing "Handel’s Messiah" and stuff like that!

Now, in hindsight, my musical skills were put to good use in serving the church ministries, in discovering my emotional expression, in finding solace, in enjoyment during my own exploration of other pieces never taught to me.

In performance, I discovered that my awareness and own rhythmical energy, drive and musicality, were all treasures I discovered with the gift of music from God and from my parents that I must be eternally grateful for.

Dr. Geraldine Law-Lee, Tue 29/01/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment