Music Performance & Appreciation

Very often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey. We invite you to journey with us... Sign up to connect with Rhythm MP


Chapter 4: My childhood musical experiences!

Many people pursue a music career simply from their love for music, from their desire to perform and to compose music. One’s success depends on the musical skills of the individual. However, the heart of the musician must first begin with a passion for music. This is a basic ingredient for success in a music career. Hopefully, these values are instilled into the young student from the start.

This brings to mind the many childhood memories I had. Childhood musical experiences are deeply etched into our minds and hearts. The most memorable being the musical evenings that some of my teachers organized. Such activities bring together other students where we participated in singing and performing. This is when I get to dress up and perform to an appreciative audience who applauded, and that set my heart ablaze with excitement and pride. It was very encouraging and it made me want to perform more. Those feelings were moments of affirmation and confidence building. As my teacher prepared me well, there was no nervousness or apprehensions on my part. We only get nervous when ill prepared.

My parents were my greatest supporters. The musical environment at home was nurturing and this where it all began. There were duets with my sister, solo singing and performances that included all my cousins. We announced the pieces we were to perform and from here, we found performing for an audience became joy and excitement.

I recalled little gifts received if I have met my teacher’s expectations. It was in the form of a snack or something suitable and serves as incentives for me to excel all the more. I even simulate performing my music on tabletops while waiting for my lesson!

Occasionally, I would get to visit the British Council to view concert footage in the evenings. Being part of the children’s choir during Christmas where we sang our hearts out was something I looked so much forward to annually.

From one’s childhood experiences, good or bad memories stay on forever. Bad memories may kill and good memories may build. However, bad memories can be used positively to improve us to reach greater heights. Let it be a catalyst that drives you to achieve excellence.

Dr. Geraldine Law-Lee, Mon 10/12/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment